Saturday, June 1, 2013

A Fellow PPPler

Well, hello again everyone, didn't expect a post today now did you?!?! Well, it turns out I was able to hang out with a fellow 2013-2014 CBYXer/PPPler yesterday! You heard it right! I am lucky enough to be able to write about the first meet-up of any CBYXers for this program year. It was very exciting and I'm glad him and I were able to hang out yesterday. Everyone, give a big shout-out to Michael Douglas, the funny, extremely intelligent, 22 year old college graduate from Xavier University that seems to have done a little bit of everything. Without further ado, let's get started.


I am from the city of Latonia, Kentucky, and Michael originally comes from Dayton, Ohio. He moved to Cincinnati, OH within the past few years. We had met at the interview in February and got along great, both encouraging each other in our hopes of being chosen for such a prestigious program. We both had also met another candidate named Austin from Michigan City, Indiana. It turns out that all 3 of us in our interview on that same day were chosen for the CBYX program. We would have hung out with Austin too if only he was closer!


Michael and I met at a local neat place known around here as "Newport on the Levi," a beautiful area full of shops, a theater, and a mall all along the Ohio Riverfront. And of course, we couldn't be luckier to have 1 of the only 4 existing Hofbräuhaus(es) in the entire U.S, RIGHT IN NEWPORT!! The other 3 only exist in Las Vegas, Chicago, and Pittsburgh. So, one could say that we are quite lucky in our location. Although, we did not visit the Hofbräuhaus(can be quite pricey and Michael and I had both been before), we discussed many things while at the Starbucks in Barnes and Noble. We talked over our interview, and many other things. I had said we should speak Deutsch conversation as much as possible while we were hanging out. (This comes a bit later; as our vocabulary isn't nearly advanced enough for the things we were speaking about).



 A barge passing down the Ohio river with a view of a dreary Cincinnati evening in the background.


I decided to propose the idea to Michael that we should go to (again), 1 of the 2 Jungle Jim's International Grocery Store, both residing within about a 20-30 minute drive of where we were at. Michael mentioned he hadn't been there since he was in middle school, so we decided that would be a fun adventure! Jungle Jim's has been ranked by Travel Channel's Most Extreme Stores as #1 in the entire U.S for the vast variety of items it carries, along with its one of a kind characteristics. We ended up going to the original Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, OH rather than the much newer one constructed last year in Eastgate, OH.


We talked a bit in the parking lot and I decided that we would speak only Deutsch(or as much as possible while in Jungle Jim's) and I have to say we did speak quite a lot of German. Although, I have to mention that Michael had a few years of German on me, and I had also realized I had never really done much regular Deutsch conversing, so that is something I DEFINITELY need to work on. (I do feel that in Germany it will come to me much quicker, having to be submerged entirely in the culture) I have to say we felt great about at least really giving a good effort into it. 


Jungle Jim's really offers anything from all over the world. They must receive entire truckloads of imported goods from all over many times a day. They pride themselves on offering the best of all cultures around the world. You want to get Turkish Baklava, they have it, you want Dutch Marzipan, bam they have it, you want raw duck eggs from China, they have it, random chocolate from Afghanistan, THEY HAVE IT ALL. Michael and I wandered around lost in the massive store. I had also had another realization, it was very difficult to think about where I was going AND to also converse in German. I suppose I can work on that aspect!! And when I say "wandered around," I really mean it. The store is massive, and you CAN get lost in it.



Jungle Jim's International Grocery (The whole building wouldn't fit)


Michael searching for his beloved organic stuff (it's all foreign to me!)


Picture by the German section of the store (of course the shades are necessary). I believe Michael had chocolate of some kinds in his hands. Never seen a guy crazier about chocolate.


Amaretto Liqueur Cake, OH YES!!! I feel like if the camara was closer, and I had a different expression on my face, I could have been mimicking this guy:

Aren't we all past memes yet, OH NO, NEVER!



Seafood, imported fresh EVERY morning!


Fish, does it even need a caption?


Dat Colored Pasta Face, my photography skills are impeccable(more like lucky!)


5000 Reward for Robin Hood, of course this was above the Great Britain section!


Creepy Treasure Trove in the ceiling with a face



And of course we know the route that this blog has seemed to take each post, I must present you with a new delectable food each time I write! Well, here it is ladies and gentlemen, the famous Jaffa Cakes by Jacob's. The Jaffa is effectively what could be remembered as the "British" version of the Hostess "Twinkie." When Hostess went out of business, I had to find something new, and I watched a British Youtuber who always mentioned his love for Jaffa Cakes. I had to try them! I've had them many times before this, but due to their extreme popularity, there is usually only 2-3 boxes left on the shelves if I do find them. They are a soft cake like cookie that is covered on the top half with a chocolate shell. The middle part is hollowed out and filled with an orange jelly, this is the Jaffa Cake. A simple yet beautiful creation that cannot be recreated but by the one and only ingenious snack company: Jacob's. Jacob's should be paying me for this sort of good advertisement! Nevertheless, you have been educated for the day about the wondrous foods of the world, moving on!


Beautiful Exit

Yes, that's right, a monorail outside of the Jungle Jim's!


We traipsed through the store a bit more looking for various delicious products to try. I'm pretty sure Michael got nothing but chocolate, but hey he made some good choices! I believe I came back with Jaffa Cakes, Dutch Marzipan Iced Cakes, soft imported English Cheddar, Schlündler (Deutsch) Amaretto Cake, a pound of Seven Hills brand coffee, Jungle Jim's signature brand, and an Italian style Cannoli for my Mom. (If only I could have bought some sort of neat wine or beer to try). It was fun, Michael and I "Deutsched it up," and we got some good food. Now, where might our adventure take us next?


Beautiful Cincinnati


We had to return Michael's rental car (it was already late). Michael, you MIGHT have sold your car in your anticipation for Germany just a TAD too early. Oh well, just roll with it, and so we did. I had to show him another Cincinnati favorite of mine. It is a steamed sandwich and bagel shop called Gilpin's. Walking by it, one might think it's just another hole-in-the-wall type of shop, but it's so much more. The steamed sandwich is a beautiful creation, and an idea, of one that could have only been imagined through excessive atomic chemistry(Okay maybe not quite). I of course, had my favorite, the "Frankenstein." A combination of chicken, bacon, ranch, garlic cream cheese, provolone, and onions all on a pretzel bun, steamed to perfection. How could one resist?! Michael decided he was feeling obnoxiously German, so he ordered sauerkraut, ham, mustard, and provolone on a pretzel bun. STILL, I'm not sure how I feel about that sandwich.


Gilpin's Steamed Sandwich and Bagel Shop(sorry for the quality of this photo)


 Looking out the front of Gilpin's.


Gilpin's famous drunk menu, only thing that can be ordered after 11 P.M until 4 A.M for all the crazy club goers next door and throughout Cincinnati.


It even has a one of a kind type of loft with mismatched chairs, a church pew, a painting of flowers(says: "Flowers that last forever," and 2 tv's spray painted white with a hook up to a PS2 with a lovely fireplace emulator. WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT?! If any of you are in Cincinnati during the evening, stop in to Gilpin's, it is located at 7th and Vine Street, literally almost across the street from the Hustler store.


Michael and I had a blast. He's a really cool guy, and it's even better now that we've met because we're gonna be buds in D.C. Remember that camping trip I was talking about? Well he's coming along with Tyler, Grace, and I this coming Wednesday, so that will be the next thing you hear about! We can't wait to meet you other PPPlers in D.C. We're going to have the time of our lives!!


Bis später

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome Shawn! Glad you two got to meet and get to know each other! Can't wait to see you guys in D.C. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see you either! :)

    ReplyDelete