Saturday, June 22, 2013

Glühwein in June!

The title says it all. I couldn't help it, once I heard of this amazing sounding drink, and then reading up on it a bit, I decided: I will make my own homemade Glühwein. This drink is a seasonal German/Austrian drink that is usually seen around Christmas time at all Weihnachtsmarkts all over. I first encountered the drink when watching a video from one of the 29th PPPlers Samantha Montero. (Link to her channel: Awesome Youtube Channel). Glühwein can be made in an assortment of ways with many different ingredients, depending on what you like. I looked up Glühwein recipes and went off a mixture of the ones I liked the best, some of it was tailored to my likes and me just "winging" it. Here's what you'll need for it: This recipe uses 500 ml of Wine, scale up recipe if you want more, and disclaimer, some of these are strictly guesses, so it might need adjustment on your part.

  • Red Wine(500 ml)
  • Whole Allspice
  • Whole Cloves
  • Half an orange, cut in thin slices
  • Very finely ground sugar
  • Whole Cinnamon Sticks
  • 3/4 cup Orange Juice
 
Pour the red wine in a pan, heating it up a bit with a low flame. (DO NOT let it boil) Cut the slices of orange and put 2-3 slices in with 4 of the cloves stuck in the skin of each of them.

Put the oranges in the wine making sure to submerge them, while keeping the low flame on. Half or third two cinnamon sticks and throw them in.

Throw in 2 whole allspice and pour in your 3/4 cup of orange juice. And lastly, evenly pour in about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of finely ground sugar. Stir this all as you go. Stir off and on for about 30 minutes with heat on low, again not letting it boil. Give it a taste, and add more sugar if necessary(which you honestly might have to).

Let it infuse for another 30 minutes, stirring it off and on as you go. Remove oranges/allspice/cinnamon sticks and spoon into cups, and enjoy! Oh and the oranges actually soak up all these flavors quite well so you could eat those if you like too!

Here are some pictures of how my Glühwein turned out, I must say,
 
Es war einfach der Hammer ;)


 All of the many ingredients cooking together




 Glühwein in it's completed form!


I honestly cannot wait until I can try some real Glühwein from a real Weihnachtsmarkt!! I am less than 6 weeks away from being in Germany for an entire year!! You could say I'm just a bit excited. And during Christmas time, I think being able to make my own homemade Glühwein might catch the interest of at least a couple Germans! Hope you guys enjoy, bis dann!

No comments:

Post a Comment